After my first post on the four essential things I recommend when going out in the wild, I of course received some criticism from Internet "know-it-alls". Here is a perfect example from Reddit user user5618:
I suppose he has a point. I didn't specify what type of activities by saying, "anywhere you might find yourself in a survival situation". I guess I assumed that people who read my blog would be able to figure that out. My bad...
Still though, when out walking my dog I am not carrying my canteen set, or my fixed blade knife. I am however, still somewhat prepared at all times. Here are some things that I always carry that I'm sure even user5618 wouldn't feel embarrassed carrying:
- Swiss Army Knife. Has lots of uses including driving screws and opening cans. I use the Super Tinker.
- One handed folder. I always have my Gerber 06 FAST tactical spring assisted one handed opener knife. In a pinch it would make a pretty decent survival knife.
- Lighter. Simple and fast method for starting a fire.
- Mini Fire Steel. I have this little sucker on my key chain in case my lighter fails. I have resolved to never put myself in a position where I have to start a fire by rubbing sticks together!
- Cordage. I never leave home without my paracord bracelet!
Like I said last week, "Always Be Prepared" is not just a good motto...
What do you have for your EDC gear? Let us know in the comments!